KISSIMMEE, Fla., February 4, 2009 – Kissimmee Utility Authority (KUA) is prepared for an approaching cold front that is expected to bring freezing temperatures to Osceola County on Thursday morning.
A hard freeze warning has been issued by the National Weather Service in Melbourne for Osceola County, including the city of Kissimmee. The warning will be in effect from midnight tonight until 9 a.m. Thursday.
The utility is monitoring weather forecasts and putting necessary resources in place to ensure speedy restoration if power outages occur.
As outside temperatures drop the use of portable electric space heaters increases. KUA offers these tips for safety:
* Keep all furniture, draperies, and other household objects at least three feet from portable space heaters.
* Plug portable space heaters directly into the outlet; do not use an extension cord. Never run the heater’s cord under rugs or carpeting.
* Don’t place the heater where children might play near it or where people might trip over or bump into it.
* Do not leave the heater operating unattended or operating while sleeping. Portable electric air heaters are designed for use only as temporary supplemental heating and only while attended.
* Some portable space heaters have been subject to product recalls. Check your brand and model number and visit www.cpsc.gov for possible information on your heater.
Founded in 1901, KUA (www.kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility providing electric and telecommunication services to 170,000 residents in five Central Florida counties.
# # #
Chris M. Gent