KISSIMMEE, Fla., September 6, 12:00 noon – The Florida Reliability Coordinating Council (FRCC) is continuing its Generating Capacity Alert for Tuesday, Sept. 6. The continuation of the Alert is due to the continued uncertainty of restoration of natural gas production facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.
The FRCC is continuing its call for public appeals for conservation of electricity. Kissimmee Utility Authority (KUA) has joined other Florida utilities in supporting FRCC’s appeal.
The continued disruption of this natural gas production will adversely affect the generation capacity in Florida since approximately 30-35 percent of the state’s power plants depend upon natural gas as their primary fuel.
The two natural gas pipelines serving Florida are fully operational and capable of delivering natural gas once the supply is restored.
Customers are encouraged to eliminate all non-essential electric use until further notice. Simple conservation measures will greatly help extend the effectiveness of those supplies. KUA offers the following energy-saving tips:
* Adjust thermostat settings for air conditioning to 80 degrees or higher, if health permits. Keep temperature readings constant until notified that the fuel shortage has passed.
* Close curtains and blinds to help insulate homes and buildings against cooling loss.
* Avoid using room air conditioners; turn them off when you leave the room or home.
* Reduce use of all non-essential electric appliances. Run your dishwasher and wash and dry your laundry later in the evening.
* Turn off all non-essential lighting and electric appliances, such as pool pumps.
* When possible, use your microwave or countertop appliances for cooking instead of the oven or stove.
For additional energy conservation tips, customers can visit the utility’s Web site at www.kua.com/resources.
Founded in 1901, KUA (www.kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility providing electric and telecommunication services to 170,000 residents in five Central Florida counties.
# # #
Chris M. Gent
(407) 933-7777 x 1116