KISSIMMEE, Fla., May 4, 2015 – Eight residents have submitted applications to fill a vacancy on the Kissimmee Utility Authority board of directors. The deadline for completed applications was April 30.
The outgoing director, Kathleen Thacker, has served one term on the board and is eligible for reappointment.
Applicants must be registered voters, reside within KUA’s service territory and should demonstrate a successful business or professional management career.
The applicants are:
– AILEEN ABUEG is a finance and accounting consultant and holds degrees in both business administration and accounting/financial management. She is a five-year resident of Kissimmee and a former realtor. Abueg is a certified fraud examiner and member of the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
– BRUCE CARDIELLO is a 12-year resident of Kissimmee and holds a culinary degree from the Culinary Institute of America in New York. He is a former restaurant and catering manager in New York, and served as a Boy Scout assistant scoutmaster. He previously served on the board of his homeowner’s association.
– JAMES C. COX II is a former supervisor with Busch Entertainment Corporation. He is a 14-year resident of Kissimmee and holds degrees from Columbia College in Orlando. For the past two years, Cox has served as fundraising event chairman for the Winter Garden Police Athletic League.
– PETE EDWARDS is retired and former president of the Kissimmee/Osceola County Chamber of Commerce, St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce, Kissimmee Convention & Visitors Bureau and Osceola Center for the Arts. He was previously a member of the Osceola County School Board and served as chairman for two years. A Vietnam veteran, Edwards is a 59-year resident of Osceola County and a graduate of the University of Florida.
– DONALD LARSEN is a five-year resident of Kissimmee and currently serves as quality manager at Correct Craft in Orlando. He holds an industrial technology degree from Northern Illinois University, and he is an active runner and volunteer at Give Kids the World.
– DR. LEONIE MISQUITTA is executive director of Ionstyn, LLC, a biomedical and healthcare consulting firm. She is a one-year resident of Kissimmee and holds degrees from Georgetown University and DAVV Indore University in India. Misquitta volunteers with the Guardian Ad Litem program and the Osceola County Historical Society, and she serves as a reviewer for the National Science Foundation.
– MANUEL ORTEGA has been a resident of Kissimmee for two years and is a former law enforcement officer for Broward County, Florida and New Bedford, Massachusetts. A retired Navy captain, he holds criminal justice degrees from Western New England College in Massachusetts and Salvia Regina College in Rhode Island. Ortega previously served on the airport commission in New Bedford.
– KATHLEEN THACKER is a current member of the KUA board of directors. She is a retired 30-year employee of Orange County Public Schools and holds degrees from Florida State University and Western Carolina University. Thacker has resided in Kissimmee for nearly 13 years.
The KUA board will interview the applicants at the end of its regular meeting on May 6. The board will send three recommended applicants to the Kissimmee City Commission for second interviews and final appointment on May 19. The candidate appointed by the city commission will be sworn in at the board’s October meeting.
Founded in 1901, KUA (www.kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility powering 67,000 customers in Osceola County, Fla.
# # #
Contact: Chris Gent