KISSIMMEE, Fla., June 28, 2011 – Today marks the 110th anniversary of municipally-owned electric service in Kissimmee.
It was during a Kissimmee City council meeting (yes, it was called Kissimmee City at that time) on June 28, 1901, that a resolution was passed authorizing the city’s purchase of Kissimmee Electric Light Company from W.C. Maynard for $4,293.59.
Maynard, a Kissimmee resident, had owned and operated the private power company in Kissimmee under contract with the city since December 4, 1900.
Upon the purchase, a committee was appointed by the council to manage the electric system.
Kissimmee is the fifth oldest municipal utility in the state, following Starke (1890), Jacksonville (1895), Ocala (1897) and Williston (1900). In addition, Kissimmee residents began enjoying the benefits of electricity 22 years before their neighbors to the north in Orlando (1923).
The utility’s first purchase was a 15-kilowatt generator in 1901 — enough to power just 150 100-watt lightbulbs or 13 coffeemakers. That was followed by the addition of three diesel generators in the 1920s to serve the approximately 200 electric customers in Kissimmee at that time.
Not until the opening of Walt Disney World in the 1970s did the utility begin experiencing tremendous customer and energy demand growth.
Founded in 1901, KUA (https://kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility providing electric and telecommunication services to 64,000 customers in Osceola County, Fla.
# # #
Chris M. Gent