KISSIMMEE, Fla., October 15,
12:30 pm — Kissimmee Utility Authority (KUA) is handing out free reflective trick-or-treat
bags again this year to help keep little ghosts and goblins from being haunted by
unnecessary danger this Halloween. The bags offer improved visibility as trick-or-treaters
travel from house to house through the darkness.
The bags also include tips for safe treat collection, such as staying with an adult in a
large group at all times, remaining in well-lit areas and having treats checked before
consumption. Families may pick up one bag per child between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday
through Friday, at the utility’s customer service center, located at 1701 W. Carroll Street
And with Halloween being the most decorated holiday following Christmas, there are a wide
variety of electrical decorations to choose from. These decorations can be a “treat” to look
at so it is important to use them properly to reduce risk of fire or injury.
* Choose lights and animated figures with certified safety approval.
* If you use an extension cord, check whether you have an indoor or outdoor cord and be sure
it is appropriately sized for the job.
* Follow directions to install and maintain electrical decorations.
* Check decorations for cracked sockets, frayed or loose wires and replace if necessary.
* Turn off all electrical light strings and decorations before going to bed.
And to make Halloween safe for trick-or-treaters:
* Please leave your porch light on.
* Be certain your little ones are dressed for visibility and that their vision is not
blocked by costuming.
* Have your trick-or-treater carry a flashlight with fresh batteries.
* Remind young ones to watch for cars and strangers.
Halloween should be filled with surprise and enjoyment, and following some common sense
practices can keep events safer and more fun.
Founded in 1901, KUA is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility serving 61,000
electric, water and Internet customers in five Central Florida counties.
# # #
Contact: Chris Gent, Manager of Corporate Communications
(407) 933-7777 ext. 1116