KISSIMMEE, Fla., December 5, 2017 – Kissimmee Utility Authority today announced the winners of its 24th annual student calendar art contest.
Open to Osceola County students in kindergarten through fifth grade, the contest is designed to promote energy conservation among students and their families.
This year, a total of 1,934 entries were received from 41 Osceola County elementary schools.
A panel of judges met last week and selected 12 entries – one for each calendar month – that will be featured in the utility’s 2018 Calendar of Energy Conservation.
The winners are:
- City of Life Christian Academy – Bryce Fedewa, grade 5 (grand prize winner), Gabriella Luna, grade 4
- Flora Ridge Elementary – Diana Alejandra Vargas, grade 5
- Highlands Elementary – Ashley Cruz Villalta, grade 3
- Holy Redeemer Catholic School – Alexander Gonzalez, grade 1
- Mater Brighton Lakes Academy – Yeidy Rosa-Castro, grade 3
- Partin Settlement Elementary – Anissa Rose, grade 3
- Poinciana Christian Preparatory – Zyon Hope Wynn, grade 4
- Sunrise Elementary – Onixxjoe Barreto, grade 4; Belinda Cantres Hernandez, grade 5, Galilea Ali Negron, grade 5
- Thacker Avenue Elementary – Caden Akers, grade 4
This year marks the second win for Onixxjoe Barreto who was the contest’s grand prize winner in 2016.
The 12 winning students will have their artwork featured in the 2018 calendar and receive a $150 cash prize. The grand prize winner’s name and artwork will be featured on the calendar cover and affixed to a KUA fleet vehicle for one year.
The grand prize winner’s school, City of Life Christian Academy, will receive $750 in art supplies, and Flora Ridge Elementary will receive $500 in art supplies for submitting the most total entries in the contest.
The calendars will be distributed free of charge, beginning in late December.
Founded in 1901, KUA (www.kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility powering 74,000 customers in Osceola County, Fla.