It’s the most wonderful time of the year and a great time to remember that energy efficiency is a gift that keeps on giving in lower utility bills and increased home comfort year-round.
Here’s our Top 5 energy-saving gift ideas that won’t break your holiday budget:
- Pressure cooker. These pots – great for preparing rice, beans, soups and some meats — use up to 70% less energy than regular pots and pans by sealing in hot air to quickly cook food.
- High-efficiency lights. Need some stocking-stuffers? LED bulbs use up to 75% less energy than regular incandescents – and the price continues to drop. You can also find handy gadgets, such as highly efficient LED reading lamps and flashlights, which are perfect for smaller gifts.
- Smart and programmable thermostats. One of the best ways to compel someone to save energy is giving them real-time feedback of how much they’re using and spending. A programmable thermostat can track a home’s electricity usage by connecting to heating and cooling systems. Popular brands include Nest, Ecobee, Lux, Emerson and Honeywell.
- Solar-powered gadgets. You can now find solar-powered lights, cell phone and battery chargers, and solar backpacks. And what better way to teach kids about renewable energy than buying them a solar-powered toy?
- Energy-savings guidebooks. You can find a treasure trove of good energy-savings ideas in books available online or at most book stores. Check out some good titles here and here.
Not excited about leaving an energy-saving guidebook or LED bulb under the tree? Consider giving ENERGY STAR TVs, appliances or electronic devices. ENERGY STAR products use less energy than standard models.