Halloween Decorating Safety

Halloween is one of the most popular holidays of the year for decorating, second only to Christmas. With Halloween around the corner, it’s important to consider electrical safety precautions before starting to decorate and shop for costumes. Be sure to review these tips to keep your families safe this spooky season:

  • Choose decorations, costumes and accessories that are made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant and non-combustible materials.
  • Use flashlights or battery operated candles instead of candles when decorating the home, including to light walkways, jack-o’-lanterns and outdoor displays.
  • Carefully inspect each decoration before use. Cracked, frayed or bare wires may cause a serious electric shock or start a fire.
  • Before using any electrical products outside, make sure they are marked “for outdoor use.”
  • Keep electric cords out of high-traffic areas, including doorways and walkways, where they can be a tripping hazard.
  • Plug outdoor decorations into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) to prevent electric shock.
  • Never nail or staple light strings or extension cords. This can damage the cord’s insulation and create a serious fire and shock hazard.
  • Use electrical lights and decorations that are approved for safe use by an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories.
  • Always turn off all electrical decorations and extinguish any open flames before leaving home or going to bed.
  • Avoid using dried flowers, corn stalks or hay in your festive decorations. These items are highly flammable and could even be ignited by heat from a nearby lightbulb.

#PublicPower #CommunityPowered #HalloweenSafety