When choosing or making a Halloween costume this spooky season, it’s important to consider these safety tips for your trick or treaters:
- If you are making your own costume, choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flame.
- Stay away from billowing or long trailing fabric.
- If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so they can see out. If possible, try nontoxic paint instead of masks.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors.
- Be sure to select the right size costume to prevent trips and falls.
- Accessories should be easy to carry and have no sharp edges.