NOAA Hurricane Forecast Warns of a Very Active Season Ahead

hurricane approaching Florida

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s outlook for the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season indicates that an above-normal season is most likely, with the possibility of it being extremely active. The outlook calls for a 60% chance of an above-normal season, followed by a 30% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. The Atlantic hurricane region includes the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.

An average season produces 12 named storms and six hurricanes, three of which intensify into major hurricanes.

The 2020 outlook calls for a 70% probability for each of the following ranges of activity:

  • 13-19 Named Storms
  • 6-10 Hurricanes
  • 3-6 Major Hurricanes

Even though the Atlantic hurricane season officially begins June 1, peaks in September and ends November 30, the season has already started with the formation of tropical storms Arthur and Bertha this month. This is the sixth year in a row that a tropical or subtropical cyclone has developed before the official start of hurricane season.

Kissimmee Utility Authority reminds residents that hurricane-related disasters can occur whether the season is active or relatively quiet. It only takes one hurricane (or tropical storm) to cause a disaster. It is crucial that residents and businesses prepare for every hurricane season regardless of this, or any other, seasonal outlook. The time to prepare is NOW!

#hurricane #hurricaneprep #Kissimmee #PublicPower