Now that the New Year is here, why not make safety this year’s top resolution? Now’s a great time to look through your home to see if you can spot any potential electrical safety hazards.
Read through these tips from Kissimmee Utility Authority to prepare for a safe and healthy 2020:
- Outlets – inspect outlets to make sure they’re not overloaded and electricity is spread evenly. If you have young children, consider adding plastic safety caps to keep them from sticking a finger or metal toy into the socket.
- Extension cords – Extension cords should only be used as a temporary solution and should be placed away from foot traffic to avoid trips and falls.
- Wires/cords – Be sure to inspect wires or cords that may be exposed or frayed that could cause a potential shock.
- Space heaters – If using space heaters, be sure to follow manufacturer instructions and to place them in a safe location before use.
- Light bulbs – Make sure that bulbs have the correct wattage to avoid overheating.
- Wet areas – Ensure that electronics are kept away from wet areas. Use caution with devices in the bathroom area.