KISSIMMEE, Fla., October 28, 2016 – The Florida Municipal Electric Association has presented its 2016 Building Strong Communities Award to Kissimmee Utility Authority for the utility’s strong commitment to addressing community needs during the past year. KUA was one of 15 utilities honored statewide.
FMEA executive director Barry Moline presented the award to KUA during ceremonies held Oct. 27 at the association’s Energy Connections Conference and Trade Show in Orlando.
“Being a part of the community is about more than making sure the lights are on,” said Moline. “The recipients of the 2016 FMEA Building Strong Communities Awards excel in not only taking an interest in seeing their communities succeed, but also actively working toward making them better places to live and building strong communities.”
The award is presented annually to utilities that enhance the quality of life in their communities through activities that address community needs and improve the area’s social, cultural, educational and economic environment.
In the past year, KUA supported nearly 100 community organizations and activities that impacted a combined 250,000 residents. Notable projects included:
- daily employee delivery of meals to homebound seniors through Meals on Wheels
- distribution of 65,000 free hurricane preparedness guides
- sponsorship of the Osceola Fall Art Festival
- purchase of Junior Achievement curriculum for 350 classrooms in Osceola County
- hosting of community blood drives
- four college scholarships to local high school students
- sponsorship of a parade to honor military veterans
- holiday toy drives for children in need
- support of regional and state student science and engineering fairs
“Partnering with the community is a core value of our organization and part of our mission statement,” said KUA president and general manager Jim Welsh. “I am thrilled that KUA has again received statewide recognition for its work in the local community.”
KUA’s mission statement: To provide reliable and economical services to our customers while partnering with the community and the environment.
Founded in 1901, KUA (https://kua.com) is Florida’s sixth largest community-owned utility powering 70,000 customers in Osceola County, Fla.